Investment Objective: The primary investment objective of the Intrepid Select portfolio is long-term capital appreciation.
Investment Philosophy >>
- We are focused on downside risk and will invest only when strict valuation criteria are met.
- While much of the investment industry treats performance like a football game, measured in quarters, we view investing as a marathon of emotional discipline encompassing years of investment returns in favorable and unfavorable climates.
Investment Strategy >>
- To find these companies, we search for those that can be valued with a high degree of confidence, generate consistent free cash flow, have strong balance sheets, and are run by a proven management team with a solid record of capital allocation. Often, the stocks of these businesses are suffering from issues that we determine to be temporary.
- We often buy companies when they are trading around 10x normalized free cash flow.
- We employ a long-term investment outlook focused on absolute value.
- Our process is designed to capitalize on fear, volatility, and the inevitable investment bargains they generate.
Portfolio Construction >>
- We generally own equity securities of approximately 15 to 35 different companies in the portfolio. The Select strategy typically has larger position weights than other Intrepid equity strategies. We will add to holdings as we become more comfortable with the company or if the share price declines without an equivalent decline in fundamentals, affording us an opportunity to purchase the name at a larger discount.
- Our position weight at purchase and maximum position size is dictated by the discount to intrinsic value and the quality of the holding.
- Holdings are typically exited as their share price reaches intrinsic value.
- Cash is limited to no more than 10% of assets of the Select strategy. The strategy is targeted to Intrepid's rigorous equity selection. As a result, returns for the strategy may be more volatile than Intrepid strategies that incorporate cash more heavily into the porfolio.
Risk Control >>
- Risk is controlled through two key mechanisms.
- First, our investment process includes elements specifically designed to assess the risk associated with each security, including an evaluation of a company’s operational and financial risk. We strive to avoid companies with both kinds of risk.
- Position size is the second element we employ to control risk, and we will limit position sizes based on the risk profile presented by a prospective investment.
- While we do not build positions based on sector/industry mandates, as we feel such requirements actually add risk to a portfolio, we do limit our exposure by typically not investing more than 10% in any one security. In conjunction with our valuation discipline, this limitation has historically limited our sector exposures and created a portfolio with an attractive risk-adjusted return profile.